Friday, December 17, 2010

"How are you doing?"

This is a question that we have been getting asked often. As I have mentioned before, and I believe with all of my heart, the support and love from everyone has played a tremendous role in our family's ability to continue on without our precious Mara. So I know when we are asked, "How are you doing?", it comes from love, caring and a genuine concern for our family. But sometimes we struggle with how to answer that question. And honestly, the answer can change from one day to the next or even one hour to the next. To say we are doing well is not true. To say we are doing the best we can sometimes isn't even true. To some we've even said, while we are happy for the good in our life, we are very sad for who we have lost. Not only have we lost our daughter, but we have lost the life our family was to experience with her. Being afraid that my heart was starting to feel angry for being asked that question, I decided to do what I've done before....I prayed for guidance, I talked with my husband, I shared Mara's story with more people to search for comfort, I read passages from our grieving books and I poured over stories of other's who have experienced the loss of a child from Trisomy 13.
And then this morning it hit me. While we ourselves have felt great sadness, and we know other's do as well, please try to feel some happiness and gratitude. I feel grateful that I got to experience being pregnant, giving birth to and taking care of the most incredible little angel ever. Be happy that we are able to say that we had a very special little daughter who changed our lives forever and made us want to become better people. Feel comforted in knowing that we have a very special angel waiting for us up in heaven. But be especially happy that out of all the babies in the world, God picked Mara to give to us-even if it was just for a short while. So please try and not feel sad or sorry for us, for we were given a true blessing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is very true. Love you guys and hope for happiness this Christmas season. You were very blessed to have that time with your sweet Mara!